Intruders allegedly began stealing specific Hyundai and Kia automobiles after tutorial video clips appeared on social media.
LORTON, Va. — Law enforcement are warning Hyundai and Kia automobile owners, saying burglars surface to be targeting those particular vehicles.
In accordance to the Franconia Police District (FPD), officers gained several phone calls about stolen or ruined automobiles in Lorton.
The incidents include things like three stolen vehicles that were being afterwards recovered and a fourth car or truck wherever the back passenger window was shattered and the steering column was destroyed.
“The raise in calls for assistance about stolen and broken automobiles is dependable with a pattern viewed all over the county,” FPD claimed.
Fairfax County police have taken 24 reviews of stolen Hyundai autos and 13 studies of stolen Kias in between Nov. 22 to Jan. 17.
Burglars allegedly started stealing specific Hyundai and Kia motor vehicles immediately after instructional movies appeared on social media.
The Freeway Reduction Info Institute suggests the cars and trucks becoming targeted are for the reason that the keys absence computer chips for theft “immobilizer” programs.
Reporting from the Affiliated Push states the chip keys communicate with a further chip in the ignition change. If the chips match, the motor will begin. If the chips do not match, if not the thief are not able to commence the vehicle. Films instruct intruders on how to pop off the ignition cover and then use a screwdriver or USB cable to get started the motor.
Police have unveiled a listing of suggestions to assist continue to keep your residence secure:
- Park in effectively-lit areas.
- Near and lock all doorways and windows right before leaving your auto unattended.
- Double-click the lock button on the essential fob or verify the door handles to make absolutely sure the motor vehicle is locked.
- Hardly ever depart your auto jogging unattended, even for a quick duration of time.
- Do not depart your keys, key fobs or valet keys in your car or truck. This includes household keys, garage doorway openers and keys to other vehicles.
- Make sure your car or truck is turned off when leaving it unattended. Some automobiles with keyless ignition methods can be pushed for prolonged periods of time, even if the important fob is not within the auto.
- Hold details, these kinds of as the make, design, design calendar year, license plate, and Motor vehicle Identification Variety effortlessly accessible in the party your car or truck is stolen.
- Invest in a steering wheel lock.
- If you own a 2010-2021 Hyundai or Kia, call a dealership to see what innovative vehicle avoidance resources are offered to you.
- Report suspicious activity to the non-unexpected emergency line at 703-691-2131. In the event of an crisis, dial 9-1-1.
Officers and the Car Crimes Enforcement Unit are investigating. Anybody with data is requested to call the non-unexpected emergency line at 703-691-2131. Ideas might be remaining anonymously at 1-866-411-Tips (866-411-8477).
A 60-year-old flight attendant was arrested Monday at Reagan Nationwide Airport (DCA) right after she allegedly took a passenger’s bracelet set from a TSA checkpoint
WUSA9 is now on Roku and Amazon Hearth TVs. Download the applications nowadays for dwell newscasts and online video on desire.
Down load the WUSA9 app to get breaking news, weather conditions and significant stories at your fingertips.
Indication up for the Get Up DC publication: Your forecast. Your commute. Your information.
Signal up for the Capitol Breach e mail newsletter, offering the hottest breaking news and a roundup of the investigation into the Capitol Riots on January 6, 2021.